8 Tips For Working From Home [14/11/2008]
So, you quit your job and now you want to start working from home on the computer... But where do you start?
1. The biggest obstacle - YOU! Yes, you read correctly - it's you! Now that you are your own boss, the only attitude you can control is your own. You have to project a positive attitude whether you are face to face, on the telephone or on the computer, people can feel your moods, even from your writing. Whether you want to work your home business part-time or full-time, do not work it just occasionally. If you treat your new business as a hobby, you will be paid like a hobby and frankly, I have not seen a hobby that pays you well enough... BE CONSISTENT AND PERSISTENT!
2. Get rid of negative people! You have two options when it comes to people. They either follow you, or make sure you get out of their way! Look for people who want to change. You can't deal with whiners!
3. So now you do not have to get up in the morning... After all, you are your own boss... Whether you work a regular 9-5 job or work from home, it is impertinent that you manage your time. Have a daily planner and mark the time you will work, eat, read (yes, educate yourself continually!), have fun, sleep, etc. This will be your ideal workday. Make sure and find a healthy balance between all your activities. Don't forget your family, they're important too... reserve time to spend with your loved ones.
4. Back to time management... it's double important! I have found that successful people who work from home have deadlines, do not have time to talk for hours on the phone with friends, and above all, are more productive. If you find yourself saying "I do not have time" ask yourself how many hours you watch TV... or do other wasteful activities?
5. This tip is especially for women and housemen! Explain to your children what you are doing. Make arrangements with them so you're not constantly interrupted. Maybe you have to hire a baby-sitter? After all, when you worked a regular job, isn't this what you had to do? I know a mother who involves her school age children and then pays them a percentage of her revenue. It's a great idea to awake that entrepreneurial spirit!
6. Find a company that gets you excited! Whether you market a product or a service, look carefully at the company. What is their track record? Do they enter the market with a new company every few months, only to take the money and run...? Do your homework!
7. Choose a company that offers training... Maybe even certification in their specific field. Look at it from your point of view: If you could design the perfect business, what features would it have? Then look for that company... even if it's your own!
8. So now, sit back and get rich quick on the Internet... WRONG! Remember, even the best companies with the best products aren't worth anything without people. Learn what it is that people want and then share the benefits of your product or service. It is the *benefits* that you market not the products or services. "Sell the sizzle not the steak".
9. If you need a website to help you talk to Team Discovery - they are experienced at helping small businesses succeed on the web.
REMEMBER, DISCIPLINE LEADS TO SUCCESS